Aug. 18, 2012 – I’ve just started fooling around with layouts for this project. I played around in Electric Quilt until I came up with one that I liked, then I tweaked it a little more. Not quite the fabrics that I’m using, but close. I expect that I’ll refine the layout more as the project progresses. (I know, I know – this layout uses 50 blocks, I’ll have to come up with one extra.)
Aug. 23, 2012 – Refining the layout just a bit little more. After staring at my inspiration piece, I decided the quilt needed a lot more of the toasty tan and less of the gray. Also wanted to make it more scrappy, less matchy-matchy. I scored a Dear Jane II black fabric with feathers and flowers to use in both the blocks and the outside border. I feel like it’s starting to come together now.
Nov. 14, 2012 – Haven’t been quite satisfied with the sashing in either of the earlier versions. While I was on vacation last week, I spent a fair amount of time in EQ reworking the idea, and I found that I was happiest when I eliminated that design element altogether. I’m not saying that this will be the final solution – it still needs some work on the borders – but I’m pretty sure, as they say, that this dog will hunt.
Dec. 23, 2012 – Had a little extra time in all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season (yeah, right – there is no bustling going on in this little corner of the map – this is SW Oklahoma after all). So, I played with the outside border, finally, and decided to hang a string of on-point tiles around the edge. I auditioned yellow tiles, black tiles, and orange tiles. I also tried a combination of alternating yellow/black, and yellow/orange, and orange/black. I believe yellow/black/orange is going to be the winner.
[Edit.: None of these ideas/versions made the final cut. To read about the end of my Grandmother’s Choice project, click here.]