It seems forever since I did anything besides paddle around in the deep end of my genealogy pool. Some people may think that I’m ruthlessly single-minded at times, and that could be a good thing if we were faced with something along the lines of a zombie apocalypse. But as of this moment in time, in my particular version of reality, that’s not even a blip on the radar. I do try to journal about things that interest me, and hopefully others as well, but lately I’ve been fully immersed in the whole Ghosts of Family Past thing – fairly heady stuff.
Moving along… Stitchin’ Witches Mystery Quilt-Along is complete and I hope she leads another one soon. The big reveal with assembly and border instructions hit my inbox last month, so I shifted into D (after spending a couple of late winter months in N). I was already two blocks behind in the project – plus, I’d never gotten around to finishing the signature block. For those that are interested in how I completed the siggy block, I let my heart make the decision. I embroidered it by hand, and I’m mightily glad that I did.
As for borders… since I was working strictly out of my scrap bin I didn’t have the option of a whole cloth border. So I asked myself what kind of pieced border could I make for a quilt made almost entirely of half-square triangles. The answer was obvious – more half-square triangles, of course. I had a few ‘reject’ HSTs left over, and with the aid of the Magic 8 method, the remaining 240-plus went quickly. I found an alternate method – after the fact, of course – to make 4 perfect HSTs at a time in a Craftsy video.
The pattern for this quilt, minus the HST borders, is Kaye England’s Civil War Legacy. Overall, I’m very pleased with the way the quilt top turned out, especially since I managed to hold myself to the absolute bare minimum as far as tweaking or modifying blocks. That’s a very hard impulse for me to control, and in most cases I never-ever try to rein in those “how would it look if” thoughts that go blasting through my brain. For this one, single, quilt, I managed to follow most of the instructions (yay!).
Finished dimensions: app. 60″ x 78″ (152cm x 198cm).