A guilty pleasure this business of blogging. All of the things that I could and should be doing – oh well, this is so much more pleasant. Today is a bank holiday, and in my case, that translates into One Free Play Day.
I could be doing some housework: dusting, vacuuming (meh). The sun is shining brightly, so I suppose I could even wash a window or two. Somehow that doesn’t quite fit the definition of a play day either.
I could do a little quilting… but alas, I’m out of thread. I live in the wilds of southwest Oklahoma, so this is an event of major proportions, nearly epic. Obtaining an item as simple as a spool of quilting thread may not sound like a big deal to you, but it is. The nearest spool of thread is 38 miles away (61.155 km for my friends who use the metric system).
Lucky for me I had just enough thread to complete the latest block in the Grandmother’s Choice project. The block is called Parasol, and it refers to the way that the suffragists turned a completely feminine fashion accessory into a public relations vehicle.
In the early part of the Twentieth Century, parasols or sunshades were still an item very much in use. The suffragists took advantage of the opportunity to put slogans, invites to suffrage teas, and other announcements on their parasols. How could you not notice these mobile billboards bobbing down a street or gliding along in an open carriage or car?
Barbara’s block is a very pretty little block, and enough of a challenge to keep me entertained. I look forward to using this pattern in my second quilt with the Liberty of London fabrics. The Liberty fabrics are so feminine, and they will be perfect for a dainty parasol.
But this week I needed a little more of a challenge, so I started playing ‘what if’ and nearly ended up with more of a challenge than I could handle.
I know that you’ve read how much I abhor handwork, I’ve said it over and over and over. But yesterday I was completely revved up over an idea that had occurred to me – an idea to use the photo of the suffrage parasol for my block, and a deftly wielded blowtorch couldn’t have kept me from doing this block the way I envisioned it.
I used just a smidgeon of artistic license in converting the photo to a workable block, and now my quilt makes so much more sense. I think that I’d like to add a bit of Seminole patchwork – one of my favorite piecing techniques – to the outside of this block. Soon enough, I’ll have a medallion block ready to set into the center of the quilt.